Sunday, October 21, 2007

ME Black Box

I'm nearing my 6-month point of doing CrossFit in a few days (even though there was a 3-week stretch midway that I deviated due to a very time/energy consuming Special Response Team school). And despite all the amazing results I've gained, I feel like I'm at the point now where I my physical strength (or lack there of) is really holding me back. To me, it seems like it is disproportionately low compared to other aspects of my fitness. That being said...

I've decided to take a slight spin with my CrossFitting and begin a 24-day cycle of Max Effort (ME) Black Box. The term Black Box in this sense is essentially used to describe a fitness program that creates results that cannot be readily explained or justified using the traditional laboratory-based fitness tests (i.e.: VO2 max). Whether the results come from a stronger mind, core, or other unknown factor is irrelevant. All the truly matters is the end result, in my case, greater strength. Although, in this instance it's quite clear as to why I should (and most likely will) make marked gains in my selected areas of attention.

The pilot 24-day cycle for my MEBB program will focus on lower body strength, namely Back Squat (BS), Overhead Squat (OS), and Deadlift (DL). My program will go like this:

- The 2nd day of each CrossFit 3/1 cycle will be my MEBB day (i.e.: WOD, MEBB, WOD, Rest, Repeat).
- The MEBB days will rotate like this
1) BS: 5-5-5-3-3-3
2) OS: 5-5-5-3-3-3
3) DL: 5-5-5-3-3-3
4) BS: 3-3-3-1-1-1
5) OS: 3-3-3-1-1-1
6) DL: 3-3-3-1-1-1

About this time (Nov 16), there is a Powerlifting competition on base that I'll be partipating in. This will give me an opportunity to see how much of an improvement I've made on my 1RM for full-range Back Squat and Deadlift.

Will I see a significant difference? I have no idea, but thus far, nothing CrossFit has led me astray. Only time will tell...

And I finally gave in and bought a pair of weightlifting shoes. How much will they help? I don't have an answer for that yet, although almost every serious CrossFitter swears by them. Once again, only time will tell...

No comments: