Friday, November 16, 2007

Powerlifting Competition - 16Nov

Today was the Powerlifting Competition on base that I've been waiting for. The winners (overall and for each event) were determined by percentages of bodyweight. The events were

- Squat
- Deadlift
- Bench Press

The rules were essentially you get 3 attempts per exercise, hopefully building up weight each time.

I did a nice, easy squat warm-up consisting of 5 x 95, 3 x 135, 1 x 185 prior to the start.

Squat
245
275
295 (F)

My PR is technically 315 (and it may not have been full range - I didn't have anyone around to watch my depth, it felt like it was...but after today I have a feeling that it wasn't) but that was at 195-lbs, so I'm not too discouraged...I just need to keep working on my squats! I KNOW I've hit 275 butt-to-ankles before, so I think I'm going to regress and call that my TRUE PR and work from there.

I then did a warm up for the Deadlift: 5 x 135, 3 x 185, 1 x 225

Deadlift
315
345
385 (Tie PR!!!) This was UGLY!, but that's OK, a lift is a lift.

I was debating if I should go with 365, 375, or 385 for my final lift almost all the way until it was time for me to step back up to the platform. I felt good at 345, so I decided, "Hell, why not!" It paid off, but it was DEFINATELY my max.

Warm up for the bench 3 x 135, 1 x 155

Bench Press
185
215
235 (F) - Got hung halfway up. In hindsight, I should've gone 225-lbs, but I was feeling confident after the Deadlift and 215 felt pretty easy. Sometimes you just gotta go with your instincts and not be afraid. It just didn't pay off this time. After the competition, I went to the weight room and hit 225 just so I could tell myself that I COULD hit that weight.

Total Weight: 875-lbs (4.81 x bodyweight)

I was hoping for 5 x bodyweight, but I'm very happy with these results for my first competition. Unfortunately, they didn't have running totals going after each event, nor did they tell everyone's final standings, maybe they'll post them somewhere so everyone can see were they fell overall. The winner put up a total of 1305-lbs at 195-lbs bodyweight, so I was way in the back...but can he do a muscle-up? HAHA!

I wanted to thank everyone on the CrossFit.com forums for giving me ALOT of great advice that REALLY REALLY helped me out!

No comments: